Friday, July 14, 2006

Starting Solids

I'm migrating more articles I wrote from my website to this blog. Here is one I wrote after my baby started solids.

Starting solids is an exciting time for babies and parents. Its a moment full of anticipation and a wonderful photo opportunity to record those lovely memories to cherish. As a breastfeeding mum I can't help but feel a small sense of loss. After carrying baby for 9 months and breastfeeding baby exclusively for 6 months, baby is now his own little being and needs extra nourishment. I can still do my part by preparing the best food for baby. No jar or processed foods for my little ones!

I still remember the first time I gave my first baby solids. I had made it too thick and the poor girl threw it all up afterwards. Well, it was supposed to be "solids" after all! I soon learned how to adjust. Just add more water or milk, blend more or less to get the texture that baby prefers. My method is very simple. Baby food is very easy to prepare. You don't have to be a good cook to make your own baby food. Just mix and match the ingredients using the same recipe. I don't like to make extra portions by freezing into small ice cube trays for reheating by microwave to save time. I prefer babies to eat fresh food.

So this is how I do it:

Here's what you will need:

  • Rice Cooker
  • Blender
  • Steamer

Main Ingredients:

  • 1-2 tablespoons washed rice
  • 1 bowl of stock
  • 1-2 palm sized diced vegetables


Method:

Cook 1-2 tablespoons washed rice, 1 bowl of stock and 1 or 2 types of diced/chopped vegetables in a rice cooker set to cook porridge for 1 hour. When its done, leave to cool, then blend till it becomes a smooth puree. Reheat the blended porridge in a steamer to sterelize the food if cooking for baby 4-7 months old. This makes 2-3 portions for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Feed baby the cooled porridge and refrigerate the unused portions for use later that same day. To reheat, its more healthy to steam rather than microwave.

Notes:

  1. Stock can be prepared overnight using a slow cooker/crockpot.
  2. No need to add salt or sugar.
  3. For older babies: - no need to blend but finely mince the vegetables; can add garlic, onions and ginger to taste; can add finely minced meats like fish, chicken and beef

Mix and match any one or two of the following vegetables:

For babies just starting solids:

  • sweet potato
  • carrot
  • pumpkin

For slightly older babies the above plus:

  • potato
  • taro/yam
  • brocolli
  • leeks
  • spinach
  • asparagus
  • celery
  • jicama
  • green peas (skinned)
  • tomatoes
  • cabbage

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this - very useful esp for this Mum who doesn't cook much but wud still like to prepare home-cooked meals for my baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kittycat,
    Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you found this post useful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son started solid when he was 3.5 mths. I am a working mother and have no choice but to buy baby btled food for my son. Started with porridge when he was about 6 mths onwards and then switched to rice when he was 1 y o.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...