Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Am I Doing The Right Thing?

"Am I doing the right thing?" or worse still "What have I done wrong?" is often the thought that crops up in parent's minds every now and then.

I was reading Sesame's post "Secret thoughts of a helpless parent" with amusement but what she said rings a bell. I constantly ask myself whether I'm doing the right thing. I am afraid of not giving the kids enough for fear of not giving them enough opportunities in life yet I am afraid of giving them too much less I spoil them.

Sometimes I think I am raising spoilt brats. I am poor at disciplining. The spouse is better than me in this aspect. He gives positive discipline and he sets rules. He scolds when necessary than shows them love afterwards. Me? My rules are inconsistent and sometimes I give in too easily to their demands setting the stage for more demands. (It is always easier to give in to whines and demands but in the long term its bad for both parent and child).

Hmm... my children are at the age where they need positive disciplining to point them in the right direction so I better buck up. My children's paediatrician once said "Babies are like a blank piece of paper. It is up to you to fill up that page." Oh my! Thats a tall order indeed. Yes, I better go read up more about disciplining and discipline myself first!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. My mum lived by the 5 precepts and always disciplined us by those precepts. No killing, no stealing, no lying, no sexual misconduct and no drugs and alcohol. You won't go wrong with these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophia,
    Your mum is smart so she must have a smart daughter too eh?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...