Thursday, January 28, 2010

What have you done for yourself lately?

Mothers, what have you done for yourself lately?

What do you like to do?

  • I like to read a book or magazine undisturbed
  • I like to blog and write
  • I like to play the piano
  • I like to listen to the music without any other background noise

And today, I am going to get my hair washed and done up. I admit that I haven't done so in almost a year! Oh my goodness! That is terrible. But then getting my hair done is not one of my favourite things to do. It takes too long. I'd rather be browsing around at a bookshop than sitting in a hair salon.

Anyway, the point of this post is, I think it is important for us mothers to take care of ourselves. If we take care of ourselves well, then we will feel happy and well emotionally and physically. We will then be better mothers and wives.

Matyr mothers don't make better mothers. You don't become better mothers by sacrificing your all for your children and family. Save a little love and time for yourself. By being matyr mothers, after a while you will suffer burnout. You will feel restless and feel that something is missing. You may even start to feel resentful towards your spouse or your children. You may feel trapped.

However, remember that the key towards opening that trap door lies in your hands. So do something for yourself today whether its baking, swimming, running, shopping or whatever it is that you like. Find the time for it. No time is no excuse not to do something for yourself. It can even take as little time as an undisturbed shower using some aromatic scenting soaps that you like. That too is considered doing something for yourself.

Today, I am going to the hair salon to do my hair. What about you?

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. True in what you were writing. In order to look after the family well with a happy heart, mothers need to first love and pamper themself, not just sacrifices everything to the family.

    Now, I am waiting for my urut lady to come. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha..... only yesterday I went out to KLCC for window shopping in the morning, had Japanese food for lunch with my sister who works nearby and went straight to MidValley and bought myself 2 pairs of jeans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya... you are right! I love swimming and used to swim at least 3/week. After I pregnant till the baby is 7 months now, never dive myself in the pool :(
    Must go swimming this coming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, just like my man famous phrase "when the woman of the house is happy then the whole family is happy".

    hehe...so i always have excuse to pamper myself. But, with 3 little kids, everything has become impossible. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elaine,
    That is great. Don't let 4 kids including a baby deter you!

    motherlyjournal,
    Phweeet! Fantastic. I would like to do that.

    Mommy Psedornna,
    Don't procrastinate and don't forgo your swim for something else. You must try to get that swim. You will feel so good.

    huisia,
    Nothing is impossible. So says the one who has not had her hair done in a year. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like what you wrote about mothers making time for themselves. Absolutely right martyr moms don't make better moms. For me, I know I am a better mom when I have some 'me' time and working also helps as well. I really don't want to be talking about kids, poo, etc all the time. I also ensure my g/friends and I go away for a long weekend once a year - just for some girl catchup.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...